Painter and Graphician
"The Lady of the Romanian Watercolors"
March 31, 1924, in Tarcau, Neamt County, in a family descending from
Christian-orthodox priests, her father being a priest as well, with a rich
activity of journalist, author of a Monograph of the Tarcau region, awarded by
the Romanian Academy.
- 1948 - graduated the Academy of Philosophy, Bucharest, Aesthetics
- 1953 - graduated the Institute of Plastic Arts "N. Grigorescu",
- Studied painting separately with R. Schweitzer-Cumpana,
honoured artist of art
- cultural exchanges with Czech Republic,
Bulgaria, Hungary, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, Greece - all of them ending with
- camps of creation in the country organized
by the Ministry of Culture and U.P.A.
- Since 1954 - as a member of Uniuon of Plastic Artists of Romania (UPA), participated in
UPA national boarding committee (1963-1968, 1978-1990) and was president of the Piatra-Neamtz regional branch for 18
1956-1960 - participated in the activity of the group of scientific research
for art issues in the Bicaz region
- Initiated the research for discovering
some of Lascar Viorel's works and his diary
- one of the five founding members of the Collections of the Art Museum in Piatra Neamt
- Initiated the
building of the Art Galleries of UPA. in Piatra-Neamtz (1989)
1983 - activated in the Association of Scientists
- 1954 - first personal exhibition in Bucharest
- 58 personal exhibitions
- 6 of which in Bucharest
- Prague - 1957
Bayonne - 1992
- 9 exhibitions in Iassi, Cluj, Bacau etc.
- one personal
exhibition brought to major cities in the whole country (Arad, Tg.
Mures etc.) by the Romanian Art Museum
- 1984 - the Ministry of Culture and UPA.
organized a retrospective in Bucharest - "Dalles" Hall
- 1994, 1999 - Retrospectives Exhibitions in the major art museums of the
Collective Exhibitions Abroad
- 38 in 21 countries (Czech Republic, Egypt,
Albania, Morocco, Syria, Greece, Russia, U.S.A., Japan, Yugoslavia, Iraq,
Pakistan, Mexico, Germany, France, Turkey, Sweden, Brazil, Italy, Argentina,
Collective Exhibitions in the Country
- at annual
exhibitions and national exhibition of drawing: 33
- biennial exhibition of
painting "Dalles" - Bucharest (1968)
- national exhibitions -
Bucharest, with oil and mainly watercolors (16)
Since 1954 has participated in all regional and county exhibitions
- the cycle "Old and New Legends in the
Bistrita Valey", which gained her the title of Rhapsodist of the
- the cycle "Floral Structures"
- designed the project of the old County coat of arms, as well as the present coats of arms of
Piatra-Neamt and Neamt County,
adopted by contest
- Many of the artist's works are to be found in collections of the Romanian
Art Museum, museums in Constantza, Iassi, Bacau, Vaslui, Alba Iulia and in
private collections in the country and abroad: Australia, Canada, Korea,
Switzerland, France, Greece, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, Holland, Russia,
Sweden and U.S.A.
- Together with Simona Vasiliu Chintila - a graffito in Piatra-Neamtz - "The House of Culture"
- Marble mosaic in Roman - The "Roman" Hotel
- Project exhibition -
- Mural painting in oil and monumental tapestries, which were donated by the Romanian
Government to representatives of foreign countries
- Iulia Halaucescu - Master of Watercolours. The
artist's firm mastery of the difficult technique of watercolours, ... demonstrating that any
kind of emotions can be expressed in this domain as well...
- Iulia Halaucescu - Creator of Style. Her works
specific tinge, both traditional and modern, which cannot be mistaken, a
personal style easily recognizable at first sight, even in an exhibition
with many paintings, ... combines gravity with solemnity and with the legendary...
- The Monumentality of her Creation - an architect
vocation which succeeds in imposing itself, strange paradox, through the
very suavity of the watercolours
- The Philosophical Aspect of Her Creation - a spiritual daughter of the
Moldavian mountains, water and sky ... "The
Floral Structures" reconsider meditations on the secret mechanisms of
nature, piercing analyses concerning the mutations of the form towards colour
and the aspirations of the colour towards form, a drama of the vegetal nature.
- The Relationship OIL - WATERCOLOUR Painting - Iulia Halaucescu proved
that there is no limit between one and
the other and the artist annihilated the preconception that watercolours
represents a minor technique, unable to express major themes.
We can speak about Iulia Halaucescu only by
corelating her to the Romanian watercolours, art of subtlety and full of éclat.
It is true that she exemplarily turned this into real painting, because,
through temperament and vocation she expressed unaltered images and her
volcanic personality. Definitely personal in everything she did for the
contemporary art, the creator of style Iulia Halaucescu is an authentic LADY
OF THE ROMANIAN WATERCOLOURS" (Art Critic V. Ciuca)
Awards and Distinctions
diplomas awarded at the National Graphics Festival, the National Plastic Arts
Festival "Lascar Viorel", the "Ceahlaul" Newspaper Festival
- Order of Cultural Merit
- Labor Order
- March 31, 1996 - awarded the title of
"Honorary Member of the Academy of Scientists of Romania"
- The National Cultural Order of Merit - 2000
- More than 21 publications wrote about Iulia
- Cebuc Alex., Florea V. and Laptoiu Negoita, "Romanian
Contemporary Artists Encyclopedia", Bucharest, 1996
- O. Barbosa,
"Dictionary of Romanian Contemporary Artists", Bucharest, 1976
V. Florea, Grigorescu Dan, Mihalache Marin, "The Romanian Painting through
Images", Bucharest, 1970
- Ciuca Valentin, "The Romanian Contemporary
Watercolours", Bucharest, 1988
- The National Press Agency - ROMPRESS:
"Personalities of Contemporary Romania", 3, Bucharest, 1995
C., "Dictionary of Famous People in Neamt District", 1999 etc.
- Catalogues, Guides - more than 50 edited by the
of Culture. The artist's works have been praised by the most famous art critics,
academicians, writers in more than 150 articles and in many TV shows
- Member of the
Union of Plastic Artists in Romania (UPA)
Website (including gallery)
- Str. Stefan cel Mare nr. 36, 5600 Piatra-Neamt, ROMANIA, Phone: +40-233-234.580
- For E-mail please use: firstname.lastname@example.org