M i h a i M i h a l c e a
Dancer and Choreographer
Head of Dance Programs,
Multi Art Dance Center, Bucharest
Born: 1969, in Bucharest, Romania
- Graduate of Choreography High School and University for Drama and Film, Choreography Section, Bucharest
- June-July 1994 - attended the "Six Week School"- Program in Duke University - Durham (North Carolina, USA). In the frame of the American Dance Festival took classes, like Voice Performing Art and Body-Mind Centering and studied contemporary dance techniques with Jeff Slayton and Ron Brown
- August 1994 - scholarship offered by "Pepinieres europeennes pour jeunes artistes", Paris. Studied with French choreographer Catherine Contour
- Since 1990 - participated in workshops and took dance classes with: Adina
Cezar, Liliana Iorgulescu, Ioan Tugearu, Sergiu Anghel, Florin Fieroiu, Christian
Trouillas, Josef Nadj, Christine Bastin, Daniel Ezralow, Raffael Lopez-Barrantes, Marc
Bogaerts, Brynjar Bandlien, Jan Linkens, Donna Uchizono, Charles Linehan
- 1990- 1992 - dancer in Komische Oper, Berlin
- 1992-1999 - dancer, choreographer and artistic director of "Marginalii" Dance Group
- 1992-1996 - dancer collaborator in Compagnie Christian Trouillas, Paris. Performed in "Le Grand Jeu", presented in Center Georges Pompidou, Theatre Internationale de la Cite - Paris, Maison de la Danse - Lyon, Atheneum - Dijon, Le Quartz - Brest, Maison de la Culture de Seine Saint-Denis a Bobigny
- 1997 - assistant in Resources Department of the International Center for Contemporary Dance, Bucharest
- July 1998 - assistant of the American choreographer Daniel Ezralow. (Daniel Ezralow has choreographed the Oscar's Award Ceremony in 1997)
- Since 2000 - head of Dance Programs in Multi Art Dance Center in Bucharest
- 1994-1999 - Teacher of contemporary dance in Choreography High School, Bucharest
- March 1995 - Dance classes and workshops for French students in Theatre International de la Cite
- October 1996 - Dance classes for students of Choreography School, and workshops for students of Academy of Drama and Film, Iasi
- 1997-1998 - Dance classes and workshops in The International Center for Contemporary Dance, Bucharest
- 1998-1999 - Dance teacher in Music High School "George Enescu", Bucharest
- July 2001 - 3 days workshop, in the frame of "Body Mind" Dance Festival in Warsaw
- 1994 - "Simple Balance" (25 minutes), piece created for Marginalii Dance Group, presented in Bulandra Theatre - Bucharest, Prisma II Festival - Oldenburg, Germany, American Dance Festival; the piece was awarded with the 3rd Prize of The International Choreographic Contest,
- 1995 - "Potential Dream" (8 minutes), solo awarded with The First Prize in the National Dance Competition "Oleg Danovski"
- 1996 - "Tasteless Time" (5 minutes), duo created for young students of Choreography High School, Bucharest.
- 1996 - Choreography for "Return to Paradise" (25 minutes), a choreographic film produced by Romanian National Television
- 1997 - "Piece for Time and Seven Dancers" (20 minutes), presented in the University of Drama and Film, Bucharest
- 1998 - "The Memory of the Secret Body" (60 minutes), performance created for Marginalii Dance Group, presented in Bulandra Theatre - Bucharest, Medieval Festival Art -
Sighisoara. The piece was awarded with The Great Prize and the Trophy EURODANS '98 in The International Choreographic Contest in Iasi
- 1998 - "Sola" (10 minutes), piece presented in Gala of Choreography High School in the National Opera Bucharest
- 1999 - "You come to see the show and you'll get an extra-burger!" (25 minutes), solo presented in premiere in Die Theater, Vienna and in "Manover '99" Festival in Leipzig.
- 2000 - "HaMMam/Prisoner in the Thorax Cage" (60 minutes)
- 2001 - New version of "You come to see the show and you'll get an extra-burger!" (30 minutes) - presented in the Romanian Dance Platform (in the frame of BucharEAST.West Dance Festival, May 2001). The piece was invited to "body mind" Festival in Warsaw, in July 2001, to Centre National de la Danse in Paris (2002) and Spring Dance Festival in Utrecht (April 2003)
Performances and Tours
- Poland, Romania, France, Germany, Italy, USA, Hungary, Austria, Ukraine
Prizes and Awards
- 1994 - The 3rd Prize of The International Choreographic Contest,
Iasi, Romania for "Simple Balance"
- 1995 - The First Prize in the National Dance Competition "Oleg Danovski" for "Potential Dream"
- 1998 - The Great Prize and the Trophy EURODANS '98 in The International Choreographic Contest in Iasi for "The Memory of the Secret Body"