Marian Victor Popa
General Manager, Fujitsu
Born: April 5, 1954, Bucharest
- divorced, two children: Matei (b.1993) and Andrei (b.1979)
- 1968-1973 - German High School, Bucharest
- 1974-1979 - Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, MSc in Economics, Foreign Trade Relations
- 1981-1985 - University of Bucharest, Romania, MSc in Management
- 1992 - INSEAD, Fountainbleu, France, Diploma in Executive Management Education
- 1993-1994 - Executive Management, European Foundation of Management - Belgium
- 1995-1996 - Executive Management, American Management Association, London, UK
- 1973-1974 - Translator, Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Bucharest-Romania. After finishing the High School I passed a language examination and worked as translator for the ARGUS Office of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Romania. My work consisted of translating mainly German brochures and sometimes English ones
- 1974-1975 - Military Service
- 1975-1977 - Commercial Correspondent, PUBLICOM Foreign Trade Advertising Agency, Bucharest At the beginning, I continued working mainly in translating various materials and brochures, but gradually I took over also organizational work, mainly of advertising events like exhibitions and seminars for western companies trying to promote their products on the Romanian MARKET.
- 1979-1980 - Commercial Coordinator, PUBLICOM Foreign Trade Advertising Agency, Bucharest.
I took over responsibilities of the advertising tasks of almost all German and English companies
promoting their activity in Romania. I run market studies and promotional surveys of the market,
activities and full advertising campaigns. I managed to introduce on the Romanian market so-called
“huge events” like “Austrian Days in Romania” having over 11.000 participants in one week – events
which had a big success and introduced a advertising pattern in Romania
- 1979-1980 - Foreign Relations Councilor of the President, Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Bucharest, Romania.
As foreign relations councilor of the President of the Chamber of Commerce of Romania, I
accompanied the President in most of his foreign trade missions, being active as a foreign trade councilor mainly in the field of developing new trading relations with countries such as Denmark, India,
Pakistan, Germany and the UK.
- 1980-1983 - Head of Department, PUBLICOM Foreign Trade Advertising Agency.
I was for four years responsible for the promotional activities of the Romanian Foreign Trade
Companies abroad, mainly in Western Europe. In this position, I initiated and created a new
department of design and development, which managed to raise a lot the quality of the Foreign Trade
Advertising activity done in that time by the Romanian companies.
- 1983-1985 - Sales Executive, RANK XEROX Limited, Bucharest Office.
In this time frame I worked as Sales Executive for the Rank Xerox Bucharest Office,
the same time also the total activity of the office. The job was targeted in developing the sales and
service activity of Rank Xerox office equipment in Romania.
- 1985-1988 - Sales Manager, RANK XEROX Limited, Bucharest Office.
General co-ordination of entire RANK XEROX activity in Romania. In this time frame I initiated and organized RomTeam Xerox, the first western conglomerate of sales and service in Romania, a quasi Join Association of Western and Romanian companies, which was at the time being the Benchmark of office activity in Romania. It integrated sales, service and training under one single roof,
coordinated centrally by Rank Xerox. Rank Xerox crossed the 60% market share mark in Romania, dominating the market. Very complex counter trade activities had to be performed in order to pay for the import of Rank Xerox copiers (I therefore “bought” and exported ball bearings, furniture, electrical cables, etc.)
- 1988-1991 - Country Manager, RANK XEROX Limited, Romania.
General Co-ordination with extended responsibilities in Romania. In this timeframe I started and build
up the first office equipment distribution network of Romania, creating both juridical but also
practical standards for this type of activity. In the same time, the development of the own direct office
was carried on, in order to cope with the new social-economical and political environment. The
revenue, which during the pre-90’s was at an average of 3-4 Million US $/years, reached for the first
time 7 Million US $ The distributor network was increased to 25 dealers and 84 representative branches. An own Training School was opened in this time in
Predeal, where Rank Xerox carried out
its training needs for the both countries and the building of a Logistic Center next to Bucharest was
initiated. I opened the first private customs bonded area for a company and over years the revenue of
Rank Xerox Romania & Moldova reached 24 Million US $/year. Rank Xerox Romania led for 3 years
now in the top of RX CEE companies. In 1994 I was awarded the “Businessman of the Year
Award” awarded by the Romanian Press. Since 1990 – when the actual economic growth started –
Rank Xerox Romania grew from 3 to over 50 direct employed people and had the largest distribution
network in Romania.
- 1991-1996 - General Manager for Romania & Republic of Moldova, Rank Xerox Limited
Republic of Moldova was added to our area activity, being the first western company opening a representative office there.
- Since 1996 - General Manager of ICL Romania & Moldova (since April 1, 2002 - Fujitsu Romania)
- In September 1996 I took over ICL Romania, a company being re-opened just two years ago. The
company had a loss for the last two years, the revenue being just above 4 Million US $. The
re-organization I started was both from the organizational point a view but also from a strategically point a view. In 3 years the company reached the top position in System Integration in Romania
being awarded twice (in 1998 and 1999) by International Data Corporation/International Distribution Group USA the award of “System Integrator of the Year for Romania”. In the same time, ICL will reach in
1999 fiscal a revenue of over 20 Million US $/year with a profitability of well over 10%. In the 3 years
since 1996 a backlog order book of almost 80 Million US $ has been achieved. The company grew
from 14 to 60 direct employed people, has now four own offices (3 in Romania and one in
- 1994 - Founding Member and Vice President of General Union of Romanian Industrialists
- 1994 - Member of the Board, Canadian MBA Program in Bucharest
- 1995 - Vice President, Association of Romanian Businessmen
- 1995 - Honorary President, Mini-model Club UNICEF
- 1995 - Honorary President, Romanian Haiku Association
- 1995 - Associated Member CEEMAN - Central & East European Management Foundation
- 1995 - Lecturer, Piermont International Management, UK
- 1995 - Member of the Board, World Trade Institute, Bucharest
- 1995 - Member of the Board, American Chamber of Commerce in Romania
- 1996 - Member of the Panel and Visiting Lecturer, World Trade Institute, Bucharest
- 1996 - Founding Member & President of “The Medieval Art’s Festival Sighisoara” Foundation
- 1996-1997 - Member of Transparency International Representative in Romania
- 1997 - Member of the Board, Foundation for Development of Civic Society
- 1997 - Founding Member of ATIC - Association of Information’s Technology and Communications
- 1998 - Founding member of ANIS – Association of Romanian Software Companies
- 1999 - Founding Member & Member of the Board – Transparency International Romania
- 1999 - Founding Member & Director - The British Romanian Chamber of Commerce
- 2000 - Branch Chairman, The British Romanian Chamber of Commerce
- 2000 - Member of the Board of Advisors, Leaders Romania
- 2000 - Member of the Board of Advisors, AIESEC Romania
- 2001 - President, Transparency International Romania – Asociatia Romana pentru Transparenta
Business trips abroad
- Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Albania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Russia, Holland, India, Pakistan, United States, Thailand, Greece, Emirates, Bulgaria, Republic of Moldova, Turkey, Denmark, Holland, Barbados, Dominican Republic
- 64 published articles in the Romanian press (marketing & promotion)
- various lectures in US (Orlando), British Chamber of Commerce (UK), WTC, Economic University of Bucharest, etc.
Awards and Orders
- 1994 - Business Man of the Year Award
- German - fluent in speaking, reading, writing
- English - fluent in speaking, reading, writing
- French - speaking and reading abilities
- IBM/PC, MS/DOS, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, and Corel Draw, NT, User of Unix-based Programs and Novell Networks, e-mail and dedicate Professional Programs Commercial/Financial)
- 6, Armindeni St., 713257 Bucharest, Sector 1, Phone: +40-1-230.0100, Fax: +40-1-234.407 Mobile: +40-92-311.622