Former Minister of Foreign Affairs
Born on 22 September, 1968 in Iasi
Married, one son (Stefan)
- Graduate of the College of History, "Al. I. Cuza" University, Iasi
- Postgraduate Oriental Studies as well as Biblical and Post-biblical Hermeneutics courses at the St. Cross College, Oxford University.
- Junior Fellow at the "New Europe" College for Advanced Studies
- Teacher Fellow at the School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University of London
- Taught at the Chair of Universal History, College of History, "Al. I.
Cuza" University in Iasi.
- 1990 - President of the Academic Society of Young Historians, affiliated
to the ISHA.
- 1990-1991 - Secretary of the International Students' History Association (ISHA)
- Editor of the magazines published by the "Al. I. Cuza" University
in Iasi (1988-1991), "Tinerama" in Bucharest (1990 - 1992),
"Revue des Etudes Roumaines" published by Carol II Royal Foundation
(1994), "The Genealogical Archives" of the Romanian Academy (1995),
"The Romanian Review of Social History" of the Romanian Cultural
Foundation in Bucharest (1996)
- 1997 - Director of the Center for Romanian Studies
of the Romanian Cultural Foundation in Iasi.
- May, 1998 - January,
2001 - State Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
February 2001-December 2004 - Special Envoy of the South-East Europe Stability Pact
- December 2004- February 2007 - Minister of Foreign Affairs
- February 5, 2007 - resigns as Minister of Foreign Affairs and runs the
current affairs till March 18, 2007, when a new minister is appointed and sworn in.
Appointed Director of the Institute for Liberal Studies
- Research papers, articles and essays in the magazines and learned reviews
Dialog, Cronica, Timpul, Convorbiri literare, Astra, Romania Literara, 22,
Dilema, Tinerama, Contrapunct, Polis, Revue des Etudes Roumaines, The
Genealogic Archives, The Romanian Review of Social History, Nepszabadsag.
- Author of the following volumes:
- Statistic Documents Regarding the City of Iasi, in co-operation
with Professor Ioan Caprosu (College of History, Iasi University), vol.
I-II, the Iasi University Publishing House, 1996-1997
- The Comprehensive Catalogue of Moldavian Boyars, 1829-1856,
Polirom, Iasi, 1997
- Member of the Romanian Society of Heraldry, Sigillography and Genealogy of
the Romanian Academy, Iasi branch
- 1992 - The National Prize of "Review 22", Bucharest
- 1996-1997 - "Felix Posen Award" of the Hebrew University of
- 1997-1998 - "Felix Posen Award" of the Hebrew University
of Jerusalem, Israel (for the second time)
- 1998 - "Vasile Pogor Award" for the scientific research on the
history of the City of Iasi, Romania, granted by the Mayorship of Iasi
- 1999 - "Corneliu Coposu Award" of the Christian Democratic Party
for the diplomatic activity in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- 2000 - "Dimitrie Onciul Award" of the Cultural Foundation
"The History Journal" for publishing the "Romanian-Soviet
Relation. Documents 1917-1934", vol.I, Bucharest 1999 (in collaboration
with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation
- 2000 - Grand Officer of the National Order of Merit, Romania
- 2000 - Commander of Dannebrog Royal Order, First Class, Denmark
- 2004 - "Mihail Kogalniceanu Prize" granted by the Romanian
Academy for the book: Convertire si integrare in societatea romaneasca la
inceputul epocii moderne", Iasi, 2004 (Conversion and integration in
the Romanian Society at the beginning of the modern era")
- Fluent in English, French, German, Italian and Magyar
- Official: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 33, Aleea Alexandru, Sector